To help minimize your risk when you burn candles in your home, please follow these simple instructions:
- Follow the instructions printed on the label at the bottom of your candle.
- Trim candle wicks to a height of 5-7 mm (1/4 inch) before lighting the candle.
- For best results, burn until wax melts evenly across candle, DO NOT exceed 4 hours at a time.
- Use well ventilated candle holders that are sturdy and will not tip over. Avoid wooden or plastic holders, as these can catch fire. Use caution with glass candle holders, which can break when they get too hot.
- Never drop objects, like matches, into candles.
- Do not move or touch while candle is lit. Containers will be VERY HOT on outside while lit and shortly after.
- Keep burning candles away from materials that can catch fire (like curtains, decorations and clothing). If your clothes catch fire, "Stop, Drop and Roll."
- Keep burning candles out of reach of children and pets.
- Do not leave candles burning with no one in the room.
- Extinguish all candles before you go to sleep.
- Teach your children to be careful around open flames. Make sure they understand that candles are not toys, or something they can eat or drink.
Canadian Reference for More Information: